Centre for Curriculum Training (CCT) Department
The Centre for Curriculum Training (CCT) is one of the four academic departments of the Tanzania Institute of Education (TIE). It is a relatively new department. In July 2009 TIE reviewed its organization structure to match with roles and functions as stipulated in Act No. 13 of 1975 which established TIE. It was realized that, since its establishment, TIE had not fulfilled its role of providing professional courses to various stakeholders. Therefore, a new department (CCT) was established to undertake such responsibility. The major role of the CCT department is to develop and conduct training programmes focusing on improved teaching and learning in schools and teachers colleges as well as providing porfessional courses in curriculum design and development.
The functions of the Department are:
- Design , develop and review training programs for educational stakeholders and curriculum profesionals.
- Publicize and market various training programs for educational stakeholders and curriculum professionals.
- Coordinate , monitor and supervise the implementation of training programs in design, development and implementation of the curricula at various levels.
- Conduct examination on various training programs and grant certificates, diplomas and other awards of the Tanzania Institute of Education.
- Provide consultancy service related to education and training programs in liaison with department responsible for consultancy.
- Carry out research and evaluation on educational training programs/projects in liaison with the Department responsible for research and evalutaion.
- Design, develop and review in-service training programmes for teachers, tutors, school inspectors and other actors involved in the implementation and supervision of the curricula at different levels.
- Coordinate the implementation of in-service training programs for teachers, tutors, school inspectors and other actors involved in the supervision and implementation of the curricula at different levels.
- Provide library services to TIE staff and the public.
3.0 The Structure of the Department
The Centre for Curriculum Training (CCT) has three main sections
3.1 Section of Contnuing Education (CE)
3.2 Section of In-service Training (IN-SET)
3.3. Section of Library Services, Documentation and database (LSDD)
Functions of Continuing Education Section
- Design, develop, review and conduct training programs for curriculum professionals and educational stakeholders.
- Develop training policy and manuals for different training programs offered by Tanzania Institute of Education.
- Publicize and market training programs for curriculum professionals and other stakeholders in collaboration with the Publicity and Marketing Unit.
- Implement various educational professional programmes focusing on improved quality of education in Tanzania.
- Conduct examinations and process certificates for different awards of Tanzania Institute Education.
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation of training programs for curriculum professionals and educational stakeholders.
- Provide consultancy services on areas related to design, implementation and evaluation of training programmess for curriculum professionals and other stakeholders in collaboration with other TIE academic departments.
- Experiment and provide advise on application of various facilitation methods for the improved professional training programmes offered by TIE.
Functions of INSET Section
- Designing, development and review INSET programmes offered by the Tanzania Institute of Education .
- Develop INSET policy and training materials for orientation on effective curriculum implementation and supervision.
- Publicize and market INSET programmes for teachers and other stakeholders in collaboration with publicity and marketing unit.
- Conduct INSET programmes for teachers, tutors, school inspectors and other stakeholders.
- Provide consultancy services and conduct research activities related to INSET for teachers and tutors in collaboration with other TIE departments.
- Experiment and provide advise on application of various teaching/learning methods and techniques for the improved performance in schools and Teacher training Colleges
Library Services, Documentation and Database Section
- Procure and acquire books, journals and other reading materials identified by user departments in collaboration with the Procurement, Logistics and Supplies Unit.
- Process electronic books, journals and other reading materials for library users.
- Document, retrieve and disseminate relevant electronic information to users.
- Provide library services to TIE staff and public
- Store and care for library facilities, documents and equipment.
- Train library users in the use of the electronic library and other resources.
- Network with other libraries locally regionally and internationally
4.0 Mode of Operation
There is an effective mode of operation which enhances effective functioning of the CCT department. Each of the three head of sections report directly to the director of the department who in turn, reports directly to the Director General of the institute.
In most cases the department utilizes its experts to organize, plan and initiated various training programmes in collaboration with other experts from other TIE academic departments. When need arises, the department employ experts from outside TIE to accomplish its crucial activities.